21 June 2023
A brownie only needs five basic ingredients: chocolate, butter, flour, sugar, and eggs. They are basically fudgy and chewy. A blondie is similar but without chocolate they substitute a flavor of caramel or butterscotch. This comes from the brown sugar as opposed to the granulated sugar for a brownie.
Each is typically cut into bars and can have add-ins like nuts, fruit, coconut, etc. Both are chewy but blondies are going to taste a bit lighter and feel a little softer.
Nutty Caramel Brownies
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 10 ounces chewy caramels or toffee
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Place butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Stir to combine. Heat for additional time if necessary.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Fold in flour. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until the mixture is all melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool and thicken in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 X 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Spread half the batter into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Fold in peanuts.
- Spread caramel mixture evenly over the batter.
- Top with remaining batter
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Center will still be soft but will firm up as it cools.
- Allow to cool completely (in fridge or freezer) before cutting.
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup pecans, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour an 8 X 8 square baking pan.
- Melt shortening and blend in brown sugar. Cool.
- Add egg.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the batter. Stir in vanilla and pecans.
- Spread in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a light touch leaves a slight imprint. Do not overbake.
Candy Bowl Blondies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups leftover candy
- Preheat oven to 350
- Chop candy.
- Melt butter and allow to cool thoroughly. Add brown sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth and add egg. Whisk to be sure egg is fully incorporated.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to wet mixture.
- Do not overmix.
- Fold in chopped candy
- Line an 8 X 8 inch pan with parchment paper and pour in batter. Smooth batter so that it is evenly distributed.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry (but may have a few crumbs).
- Cool completely before cutting.
Bourbon Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ bourbon or dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, eggs, and melted butter. Stir until the majority of lumps are gone.
- Add chocolate chips and bourbon. Mix well.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Pour in batter and bake for about 26 to 30 minutes.