18 October 2023
Here we are in the middle of football season, NFL, high school, and independent leagues. Even if you don’t follow the sport, game day parties are always fun. Here are some riffs on traditional chili that use the old, faithful slow cooker.
For the toppings, fixins, or garnishes, think about arranging them on a charcuterie board for a little flair.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 12 ounces fully cooked Spanish chorizo links, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Combine first nine ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve with avocado, sour crean, and cilantro
- 1 ¼ pounds chicken breasts
- 4 cups stock
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4.5 ounces each) diced green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- lime wedges
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add broth, beans, chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 4 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and when cool enough to handle, shred and set aside.
- Using an immersion blender, or move a portion of the contents to a standard blender, and puree, leaving some of the beans intact.
- Add back the shredded chicken. Add cilantro and serve with a squeeze of lime juice.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 Anaheim peppers
- 2 jalapenos (remove seeds and ribs to reduce the heat)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspon oregano
- 1 cup broth
- Preheat oven to 450. Place peppers, tomatillos, garlic and onion on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until they are charred but not burnt. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place vegetables in a blender with cilantro. Pulse until a salsa forms to your preferred thickness.
- Coat pork with flour. In a large skillet on medium high heat, brown the meat in oil. You may need to work in batches.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker. Add the salsa, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Add broth and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
Italian Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans (or other white beans), drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 parmesan cheese rind, optional
- ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
- chopped basil for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Saute onion and bell pepper; season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Add ground turkey and turkey sausage. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Cook until ground turkey is browned and crumbly.
- Place mixture in the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 7 hours on low.
- Remove the parmesan rind and bay leaf and dicard.
- Top bowls with mozzarella and ricota, basil, and parsley