8 August 2023
If you read the companion article, you can make up your own mind about whether or not apple cider vinegar is for you. However, there are a number of recipes that use this as the acidic component to food or drink. Try some and see if you like it.
Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
- 12 ounces of hot water, or more if desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Stir all ingredients together in a large mug.
- 8 frozen blueberries, or more if desired
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 12 ounces of seltzer water
- ice cubes
- Place blueberries in a cup. Add vinegar, lemon juice and ginger. Top with seltzer.
- Stir to combine. Add ice.
Apple Cider Muffins
Okay, this one uses only the cider, not the vinegar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large apple, grated
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- ¼ cup apple cider
- Turbinado sugar
- Reduce 2 cups of fresh apple cider by boiling, until it is dark in color but not burnt. Use only ¼ cup for this recipe.
- Blend butter, sugar, salt, and cinnamon until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until they are fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla, cider, buttermilk, and grated apple.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Cover the bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for an hour, or place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line muffin tin and fill each cup to 2/3 of capacity. Sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Add thinly sliced apples to top, optional.
- Bake until top springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, optional
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon broth or water, if needed to thin sauce
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet until it begins to shimmer.
- Place chicken in the skillet (skin-side down unless skinless). Sprinkle with herbs.
- Cook until chicken is browned on both sides and an internal temperature of 150.
- Add vinegar and cold butter to the pan. When the butter is melted and chicken reaches internal temperature of 165, add broth to thin the sauce if necessary.
Asian Style Ribs
- 2 racks back ribs, membrane removed
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 4 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 4 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plum jam
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- ¾ cup tamarind or applie juice in a spray bottle
- Combine all the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl. Dry the ribs with a paper towel. Sprinkle the rub on both sides of the ribs. Set aside at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat grill to 250 or 300. Add wood chips, if desired.
- Place ribs meat side up, over a drip pan, and cook for 2 hours, maintaining consistent heat in the grill. Spray with tamarind or apple juice every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce using a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine all sauce ingredients; bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and heat until thickened. Stir frequently. Set aside
- When ribs are done, brush both sides with sauce and leave on the grill for about 5 more minutes. Allow to stand and rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.