28 September 2022
In just a few days we will be into a new month. October is sweater and jacket weather and time to enjoy the crisp air with some of the many events scheduled for the Finger Lakes region.
- Glass Farmers’ Market – The Corning museum always has interesting activities. This time you have the choice of an assortment of pumpkins to enhance your home or to give as gifts. Couple this with their 20% off in-store items and you have a shopping spree.
- Agricultural Fair at Genesee Country Village & Museum – Saturday and Sunday, October 1 and 2, from 10:00 a.m. To 4:00 p.m. will offer demonstrations, entertainment, and shopping for seasonal items. This is reminiscent of county fairs our grandparents enjoyed. A good choice for the whole family.
- NOT Your Typical Upstate NY Mennonite & Amish Tour – Every Tuesday through the end of the month, this excursion begins at Penn Yan, New York, and will last for four and a half hours. Learn something about the history of the area and have a mini StayCation in the process.
- Ventosa Vineyards Live Music Series – Who can resist a BOGO? This is your chance to enjoy some of the finest music and libation in the area every Wednesday. Check their website for details.
- Market Street Social Live at Radisson – Continuing its summer of entertainment, the hotel is sponsoring free, open-air concerts on Thursdays and Fridays rom 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Refreshments will be available for sale.
- Women’s Voices that impacted Frederick Douglass – October 9 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. You can enjoy this informative lecture at the Sonnenburg.
- Apples, Apples, Apples! at Genesee Country Village & Museum – Monday, October 10 is when the Historic Village and Nature Center has a wide array of activities all centering around one of New York’s main crops. Starting at 10:00 a.m. children under 12 are admitted free of charge.
- Buddy-The Buddy Holly Story – This is presented at the Clements Center in Elmira at 7:00 p.m. on October 11 and 12. Filled with his classic tunes, learn more about this legend of Rock and Roll.
- Imagination to Creation: Oiva’s Birds – Running from October 12 to 15, the Corning Museum is offering this presentation by guest glassmakers Juha Saarikko and Pete Sarrikko from the Iittala factory in Finland. See how these amazing designs are created.
- Mansion Mysteries – The Sonnenburg is offering this presentation October 14 – 16 and again October 21 and 22. See if you can guess whodunnit.
- Spirits of the Past – Forget about haunted houses, the Genessee Village will offer a guided tour of the eerie town ready for the Halloween season. October 21 – 23 and October 28 – 30, the tours leave every ten minutes.
- The Dancing Witches of the Southern Tier – The Windmill Farm and Craft Market is offering two shows at 1:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on October 29. Enjoy this zany performance as a group, on a date, or by yourself.
- Haunted Wine Walk – What is better than a little vino and a few goblins? The Hosmer Winery is returning this event to their schedule.
Many of these events require reservations or tickets. Continue to check the Finger Lakes site since more events may be added.