25 May 2022
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer and many people celebrate with cookouts and parties. Whether you are hosting or adding to the spread, here are some ideas.
Snacks and Apps
With all the pre-meal chit chat, its nice to have a bit of something to munch on:
Quick Taco Dip
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- 1 envelope taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons of your own blend
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Ripe olives, sliced and drained, optional
- Tortilla chips
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, onion dip and taco seasoning until blended. Spread onto a 12-inch round serving platter or into a shallow bowl. Top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and if desired, olives. Serve with tortilla chips.
Ham Pickle Pinwheels
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 7 slices deli ham
- 14 dill pickle spears
- In a food processor, add the cream cheese, salami and horseradish; cover and process until blended. Spread over ham slices.
- Remove stems and ends of Place 1 dill pickle down the center of each ham slice. Roll up tightly and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
While the grilled protein is the star of the show, all the sides are what people come back for seconds. Just be sure to hold the mayo.
- 1 lb. uncooked orzo
- 1/3 cup pesto, homemade or purchased
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 (15-oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced into half moon shapes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted salted pistachios
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water until pasta feels cool to the touch.
- While pasta cooks, stir together pesto, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add pasta, beans, tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, salt, and 1/2 cup of the feta to pesto mixture; stir to combine. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pistachios and remaining 1/2 cup feta.
Finish the meal with a bit of sweetness.
Grilled Angel Food Cake with Strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Angel food cake, sliced into 8 pieces
- In a small bowl, toss strawberries with sugar. In another bowl, mix butter and vinegar; brush over cut sides of cake.
- On a greased rack, grill cake, uncovered, over medium heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve cake with strawberries and, if desired, ice cream and blueberry syrup.
This is easy enough to let the kids help.
- 1 c. white candy melts, melted
- 1 c. blue candy melts, melted
- 1 c. red candy melts, melted
- 1/3 c. red, white and blue sprinkles
- 2 tbsp each edible gold stars and edible blue glitter (available at craft stores)
- On a baking sheet, add spoonfuls of melted white, blue and red candy melts, adding twice as many white spoonfuls than red and blue.
- Using an offset spatula or knife, swirl colors together, creating a tie-dye effect.
- Top with sprinkles and edible gold stars and glitter.
- Freeze 20 minutes.
- Break into pieces and serve.