30 August 2022
Here we go with the close of summer and intro to fall. That means it is time for a party. Here are some ideas for some simple food items that will reduce the labor on Labor Day Weekend.
Cheesy Bacon Chicken Pinwheels
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package dry ranch mix
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or combination of cheese mix
- 1 ½ cups cooked and shredded chicken
- ¼ cup hot sauce, optional
- 6 large tortillas, flour or corn
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, sour cream, and dry ranch mix until well combined. Stir in bacon, cheese, shredded chicken, and hot sauce.
- Divide cream cheese mixture between the tortillas and spread out evenly.
- Roll each shell up tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Slice the tortillas into 1-inch pieces.
Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce of your choice
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed pineapple
- 1 red onion, quartered, layers separated
- 3 bell peppers, cubed
- Grilling skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 1 hour before using to prevent burning.
- Preheat grill to medium heat (about 425°F).
- In a large bowl, whisk together barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, sriracha, oil, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper until completely combined. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture and place in an airtight container (for basting later).
- Add chicken to the remaining marinade and combine, cover and chill for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Once marinated, build skewers by alternating chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onion.
- Place skewers on an oiled and preheated grill, and brush with reserved marinade.
- Cook 5 minutes and flip, brushing the other side with marinade as well.
- Cook until the chicken is cooked through.
Blueberry Lemon Heaven Dessert
- 1 whole Angel food Cake
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (21 ounces) blueberry pie filling
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl combine lemon pudding, milk, and sour cream. Using a hand-held mixer, beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, arrange 1/2 of the angel food cake cubes in a layer.
- Place half of the blueberry pie filling over top of the angel food cake cubes.
- Cover the blueberry filling with the remaining angel food cake.
- Spoon lemon pudding over the cake and spread evenly.
- Add whipped topping in dollops over the pudding layer. Using an offset spatula, spread into an even layer.
- Carefully spread the remaining blueberry pie filling over the whipped topping. Garnish with lemon zest (optional).
- Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Serve cold.