4 January 2023
Whether you are feeling a bit under the weather or just need to warm up after spending time outdoors, chicken soup is a comforting and substanial meal. Here are some choices for you to try this winter.
Chicken and Leek Soup
- 4 pounds skinless boneless chicken
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup barley
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 7 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Place chicken in alarge pot; add water, onion, and barley. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and chop or shred into bite-sized pieces. Return it to the pot.
- Add condensed broth, leeks, celery, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes
Instapot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dry
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds chicken
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute setting.
- Add butter and cook until melted. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute for 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, parsley, oregano and stir. Pour in chicken broth. Add the chicken pieces and 4 cups of water.
- Close the lid. Set the Instant Pot to the Soup setting and set timer to 7 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, about 10 minutes. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- Add the noodles to the soup and set the Instant Pot to the saute setting again. Cook for another 6 minutes uncovered, or until the noodles are cooked.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, by pressing the cancel button. Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Garnish with additional parsley if preferred.
Tuscan-Style Chicken Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can cooked cannellini beans, washed and drained
- 2 pounds cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup chopped kale
- small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in celery, carrots and potatoes. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted. Test for seasoning.
- Top with fresh parsley, grated parmesan and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme.