19 October 2022
Chicken is a staple in many homes. Here are a couple of choices that will taste comforting as colder weather approaches.
Chicken & Dumplings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 3 pounds chicken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, 1 piece at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess. In a 6-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to same pan; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until blended. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Stir in wine/cider, sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For dumplings: in a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- Remove chicken from stockpot; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves and skim fat from liquid. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Using 2 forks, coarsely shred meat into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces; return to liquid. Cook, covered, on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Drop dumplings on top, a few at a time. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Gently stir in cream, parsley and thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli, fresh or thawed frozen
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13-inch dish.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add chicken and continue to boil until no longer pink, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine broccoli, cream of chicken soup, Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, sour cream, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Drain chicken and add to broccoli mixture. Mix well. Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Add remaining Parmesan cheese on top and continue to bake until cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.