14 June 2023
Zucchini is a summer squash that is readily available through a great deal of the summer. Botanically it is a berry (yes, another one of those) but it is served as a vegetable or occasionally as part of a bread and is equally as delicious raw, cut into strips or rounds and served as a snack with or without a dip.
Look around and you will see that staple appliance, the air fryer. For easy cooking and a way to avoid steaming the kitchen or heating the oven, the air fryer is an ideal choice.
Air Fryer Zucchini
- 1 – 2 medium zuccini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- Slice zucchini into rounds and place in a bowl. Toss with remaining ingredients or your favorite seasonings.
- Prepare fryer at 400 degrees and cook zucchini for 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through the process. Time may vary depending on thickness of the squash and desired doneness.
- Lay slices flat in a single layer in the fryer. Don’t stack or overlap so the will cook evenly.
- Work in batches, if necessary. The zucchini will shrink in size as they cook.
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees
- Thinly slice zucchini, like a potato chip would be.
- Combine panko and Parmesan cheese on a plate or bowl. Individually dip each zucchini slice into egg and then panko mixture. Press to coat, if necessary. Place on a wire rack until all slices are coated.
- Lightly spray slices with cooking spray.
- Fry in single layers for 10 minutes; flip and cook an additional 2 minutes. Work in batches.
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, or more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium shallot, grated
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, grated, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- Grate zucchini coarsely. Place in a collander with ½ teaspoon salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes. Place zucchini in a cheesecloth or something similar and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Mix cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add zucchini, shallot (and jalapeno) until combined.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place bread crumbs onto a shallow plate or bowl. Divide batter into 7 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then into bread crumbs to cover all sides. Batter will be very wet.
- Fry fritters in batches until browned about 15 minutes.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Shred zucchini and press using paper towels or cheesecloth to release excess moisture
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients
- In another bowl combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate dry mixture into the wet until well combined. Gently fold in zucchini.
- Spray 2 mini loaf pans with non-stick spray. Divide batter between the pans.
- Preheat air fryer to 310 degrees for 5 minutes. Add loaves and bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick and remove loaves when toothpick comes out dry.